Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Earthquake....really!

Our welcome to island life was an earthquake today registering 5.8. I know, what are the odds? I was sitting in the kitchen talking to Kirk. Sky was there too. We had the TV set to CNN where they were reporting on the Haitian earthquake that happened a week ago. We felt a small tremor and just figured it was a large trucking rambling down the road and then when a larger one happened, Kirk and I looked at each other and said "earthquake"! We quickly ran outside and everything had stopped shaking. Star (who was still in bed) came downstairs and asked "what was that?". Mari and her friend who were in her downstairs bedroom didn't feel a thing! It was a bit scary, since we had been listening to all the stuff going on in Haiti. They are saying that it has nothing to do with the one in Haiti.

4 comments:

kim roney said...

HI Melanie
Wow, what a welcome. I am glad it was no big deal for you all. I don't much care for earthquakes, or hurricanes or tsunamis and tornados. Tell Kirk there was a tornado in Hermosa beach today that turned cars upside down. NO one was hurt thank goodness. Crazy stuff. Have a wonderful time. I wish I were there already too.
Kim

hillary and britton said...

My goodness! How scary/exciting.

Denice said...

glad everything is all ok.

Juanique said...

Holy Moly! Thats some crazy stuff! I'm so so glad it wasnt a bad one!