Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Harvest time

It's that time of year when we gather the "harvest" and prepare it so it can be used in the future. Since I can't grow a garden here in Jackson...we only have 45 days a year that doesn't freeze at night...I have to rely on my neighbors in Utah and Idaho for my harvest. I always plant tomatoes each year and this year I was smart enough to bring them inside before the first freeze killed them. So, I am now enjoying tomatoes because they are ripening in my house. I used tomatoes from Utah to make a batch of salsa.

We have a great farmer's market that is open Thursday thru Saturday during the summer. I picked up enough fruit to make a frozen fruit cocktail.

Idaho provided me with peaches and pears. Usually, my friend goes to Brigham City and brings me back peaches each year. This year was no exception....except, she went the weekend I was in Arizona, and Ty and his friends were here, and well....when I got home, there were 10 peaches left! They were that good. So, had to get them in Idaho and I canned up a bunch of them.

As I was canning my pears, I didn't have enough to fill the canner, so I thought I'd just dry them. I completely filled a quart baggie with dried pears and my kids devoured them in an evening. Guess I'm getting more pears...
What kinds of things do you like "putting up" from the harvest?

1 comment:

Denice said...

we did grape juice this year again. we did lots of applesauce last year, hope i find the time to do more of it! i forgot about frozen fruit salad! thx for reminding me!!!!